A dog kennel is an enclosed spaced to keep your pet safe and secure. A dog house can also be provided along with the kennel.
A kennel can be either a square or rectangular space enclosed by a fence made of chain links and is usually located outdoors. The primary purpose of dog kennel is to protect the dog from other people or animals and vice versa.
The first thing to consider before building a kennel is the size of your dog. The kennel should be big enough to hold your dog and prevent him from jumping over or digging through the fence. Some might prefer to install a lockable kennel to confine their pet to a particular area.
One should make sure that the kennel’s doghouse provides adequate protection to your pet from extreme elements. You pet should be safe and secure in its space at times irrespective of the weather. It is important to observe the following guidelines while building a dog kennel.
- It is best to build the kennel under or near a shady tree to protect your pet from the sun, especially during summer. Also take care to provide fresh water at all times.
- During winter place a windbreaker to deflect the cold winds from the dog kennel. You can also place a heat lamp inside the dog house during winter to provide the much need warmth.
- Make sure that there is proper drainage in the area where the kennel is located to prevent water logging.
- Try to locate the kennel away from your property line to avoid any disturbances to your neighbour.
- Keep in mind to build the kennel in a place that can be seen from your house to keep an eye on your pet.
- The size of the kennel should be the biggest that you can fit in the available space.
A general guideline is that the length of the dog kennel should be more than its width to provide better moving space for your pet. The acceptable length is about five times the length of your dog.
If the space is a bit cramped or even if you provide enough space, make sure to let your dog out regularly to have some fun and exercise.